Not Your Dad's S4
You ever just...... yeah, us too.
Definitely not a car you see every day, let alone ever really. Come on, a factory 6spd manual Nogaro "slick-top" b5 s4... Let's cut to the chase and just get into it.
Well, it started when Mike bought this car as the infamous "Ken Stevens' 034 Motorsports Audi S4". The car came into our shop pretty unhealthy and needing a bit of TLC, but aside from the critical maintenance, Mike was about to start a journey on getting this to exactly where he wanted it. He requested to keep the originality and nostalgia of the story behind the car, out of respect and admiration, but knew he wanted to put his own twist on it.
After many conversations on what outcome Mike was expecting, the journey of taking it in as the "Ken Stevens/034 Motorsports s4" and turning it into the "Mike Davis/Tweetler Performance s4" began. Starting off with the obvious, Reid had made a plan to turn this from a 2.7t Tial 770 setup to the 3.0L stroker Tial 770 setup. The engine was completely rebuilt by Tipcke Repair and involved installing 82.5mm Mahle pistons, IE con rods, and the obvious piece; the 3L crankshaft. Once Tipcke Repair was finished up with the bottom end, it was crate shipped back to our facility with a TDI 6spd transmission to be fully assembled with S.E.P Auto cylinder heads (upgraded to Supertech valves with 3% leak down results) and freshly powder coated valve covers and intake, then installed back into the car.
This setup would need to have new fueling. Tweetler upgraded from stock lines to -8an feed and -6an return with an Aeromotive inline billet fuel filter, upgraded to Fuel Injector Connection 1100cc injectors, and installed a Kenne Bell boost-a-pump to improve the fuel flow by bumping the voltage to the fuel pump itself.
After upgrading to all of these new parts and receiving a fresh AMD Tune, he was finally able to put down some power. Unfortunately, post dyno tune session, Mike had noticed a hefty vibration and especially under load. We took the s4 back in and checked wheels for balancing, motor/trans mounts, axles, and came to find the driveshaft was no longer able to hold the power the car was now making. We reached out to a local shop and had them make a single piece driveshaft from the OEM one. Safe to say Mike will likely never have to deal with drivetrain vibration issues again.
Over the years Mike has been coming back to Tweetler Performance to have all maintenance and upgrades completed. Just recently had come in to have some aesthetically displeasing issues addressed. First one being the typical VW/Audi sagging OEM headliner, which was reupholstered including pillars, with OE style "Charcoal" Alcantara Suede, a compliment to his blue sport package interior and doubled to be that extra subtle touch of luxury.
While this was being completed, he had asked us about doing a full overhaul on his sound system that was fairly outdated and weak. So, a full set of Focal speakers, a 12" JL subwoofer, a 7" Kenwood double-din with integrated Apple Carplay, a 6-channel Alpine amplifier and adapter plates were ordered and installed the following week at our facility.
All in all, we think it's safe to say that this is definitely not your dad's s4.
Check down below for this b5's full built sheet and don't forget to follow us for more unique customer builds and blogs.
Full build sheet:
- 3L stroker with 82.5mm Mahle rods, IE rods, S.E.P. Auto built 2.8 heads with Supertech valves and springs
- Tial 770 turbos
- AMD Tuned to 630whp on e85
- Snow Performance 2x #6 meth injectors and 300psi pump, controller by Vast Performance and new washer fluid tank for user friendliness on fill ups.
- Wagner V1s4 intercoolers
- 1100cc injectors by Injector Dynamics
- Kenne Bell Boost-a-pump kit
- -8an feed and -6an return
- 034 carbon fiber Y-pipe
- Modified White Dog Racing bi-pipe
- HPX 85mm MAF
- 034 MAF HOUSING
- AEM intake air filter with dry-flow sock
- RS4 intake manifold powder-coated wrinkle black
- CM850 clutch kit
- custom single piece driveshaft
- Imported TDI 6 speed transmission
- KMD short shifter
- Nuespeed rear swaybar
- Custom 4" catback exhaust
- 034 downpipes
- Airlift Performance 3S air-ride with driver presets
- 18"x9.5" et38 Rota Grids wrapped in Bridgestone Potenza RE71R's
- Fiber Images CF vented hood (paint matched Nogaro)
- EuroGear CF Euro trunk
- OEM RS4 bumper
- E-code headlights
- JHM weighted shift knob
- oCarbon full blue weave carbon fiber trim
- Charcoal Grey Alcantara Suede headliner and pillars
- Full interior sound system with Focal door speakers, 12" JL subwoofer, 6-channel Alpine R-A90S Amp, 7" Kenwood DMX706S with integrated Apple CarPlay